Home » Infrastructure » Windows » Newbie: How to make a copy of a database on another PC
Newbie: How to make a copy of a database on another PC [message #159736] Tue, 21 February 2006 02:44 Go to next message
h@r@ld
I have select privileges on a production DB (Oracle 9), but I need to set up a developer database (Oracle 10g) with the same structure and data (here I have full privileges).

From the documentation I can't find out which of the many tools and methods that is appropriate for doing this.
(Data pump? Imp/exp? RMAN?)

Any advice will be appreciated

Harald
North Pole (almost)
Re: Newbie: How to make a copy of a database on another PC [message #159810 is a reply to message #159736] Tue, 21 February 2006 13:42 Go to previous message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Are we talking about the complete database, or a schema you'd like to copy? First one will require a full database export and import (which can be done only by a user with a DBA privileges).
On the other hand, schema can be relatively easy copied; perform export on the first database:

EXP username/its_password@database FILE=export_file.dmp

On the second database, perform import using almost the same command:

IMP username/its_password@database FILE=export_file.dmp

Full database export/import would add "FULL=Y" to both commands.

Knowing that database versions are different, perform EXPORT using the EXP utility of the lower DB version (9i) and IMPORT data using the IMP utility of the higher DB version (10g).

"Data pump" is a term used in newer Oracle versions; previously it was called export and import utility. I didn't use RMAN for such purposes.
Previous Topic: How do I create a second instance on an NT server
Next Topic: connect oracle 9i database with developer 9i
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 00:40:28 CDT 2024