Home » RDBMS Server » Enterprise Manager » Is it possible to connect Oracle Enterprise on UNIX with Oracle Client on Windows
Is it possible to connect Oracle Enterprise on UNIX with Oracle Client on Windows [message #7277] Mon, 02 June 2003 04:08 Go to next message
sachin kumar gupta
Hello frendz,
My question: Is it possible to connect Oracle Enterprise on UNIX with Oracle Client on Windows.It may seem silly question, but if possible let me know.

TIA,
Sachin
Re: Is it possible to connect Oracle Enterprise on UNIX with Oracle Client on Windows [message #7280 is a reply to message #7277] Mon, 02 June 2003 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maaher
Yes you can. Add a connection description in your TNSNAMES.ORA file and off you go.

MHE
Re: Is it possible to connect Oracle Enterprise on UNIX with Oracle Client on Windows [message #7282 is a reply to message #7280] Mon, 02 June 2003 04:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sachin kumar gupta
Thanx Maaher!!
I have SCO Unixware 7.1 Server with Oracle 8.1.5 Enterprise Edition & clients on Windows 98.
Can u give me some more detailed information regarding parameters to be set in tnsnames.ora file. I will be very thankful to u.

TIA,
Sachin
Re: Is it possible to connect Oracle Enterprise on UNIX with Oracle Client on Windows [message #7284 is a reply to message #7282] Mon, 02 June 2003 07:47 Go to previous message
Maaher
Usually, an entry looks like this:
your_database_name.WORLD =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = ip_of_host_or_host_name)(PORT = 1521))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = your_database_name))
  )
The file itself is usually located on your client in ORACLE_HOME/NETWORK/ADMIN directory. If not, you can look at the (optional) TNS_ADMIN registry setting via REGEDIT.

Just add an entry similar to the ones present/the one shown above.
Save and close the file.
You can check whether it works by opening a dos box and issuing the following command:
C:> <B>tnsping your_database_name</B>
If you get a reply than you know your TNSNAMES.ORA has been modified correctly.

HTH,
MHE
Previous Topic: HOW to Create a New Windows 2000 User Account for OEM
Next Topic: SNMP port
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 18:13:49 CDT 2024