Home » RDBMS Server » Enterprise Manager » ORA OEM unable to discover the database
ORA OEM unable to discover the database [message #68346] Tue, 27 May 2003 09:27 Go to next message
Shah
Hi,
I have oracle OEM installed on a Windows 2000 server machine. I have a database created. I added the database in the DBA console. The EM cannot see the database at all. IT is in the tnsnames .ora file. If i run the discover node wizard, it still cannot find the database. I am lost. Please help
Thanks
Shah
Re: ORA OEM unable to discover the database [message #68347 is a reply to message #68346] Tue, 27 May 2003 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
did you install OMS?
create repository?
and make sure, the intelligent agent is running in all participating nodes.
Re: ORA OEM unable to discover the database [message #68348 is a reply to message #68347] Tue, 27 May 2003 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shah
Thank you for your reply.

did you install OMS?
Yes I have installed OMS. The OMS is running.
create repository?
Yes, the repository has been created.
and make sure, the intelligent agent is running in all participating nodes.
I have the inteliigent agent running. I have only one node. When I put name of the database in the discovery wizard, i get the following error, discovery failed, vd-4564 , cannot resolve hostname ltas. I even tried using hostname_dbname. I still get the same error. I have tried several things including stopping and starting the listener. when I click on the jobs tab and the destination tab, all it sees is the node. The database is in tnsnames.ora file.
ANy suggestions will really be appreciated at this point. Also the button to configure the node manually is greyed out. The only option available is skip.
Thank you again
Re: ORA OEM unable to discover the database [message #68349 is a reply to message #68348] Tue, 27 May 2003 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
something is wrong with your hostname / ip.
make sure you have them properly.
Make sure the DNS entries are correct.
oracle will not do the hostname resolution.
So, use a full-qualified hostname or a valid ip.
change the value of HOST whereever required
to a full-qualified name

machineName.domainName.com ---> fully qualified hostname
machinename                ---> Not qualified.

Re: ORA OEM unable to discover the database [message #68350 is a reply to message #68348] Tue, 27 May 2003 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
and EDIT your HOSTS file to reflect the changes
Re: ORA OEM unable to discover the database [message #68352 is a reply to message #68349] Wed, 28 May 2003 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shah
Hi,
I am trying to discover a local database. Is there any other way to add it to EM. I have tried everything. Changed the all the names to IP. Also this machine is not part of a domain. Everytime i try to discover the database it gives me the VD 4564 error. I can see the database in DBA studio. if i try to login to EM thru DBA studio i cannot. I get the following message VTO-4400 No database has been discovered. I am running out of options. I have already removed EM reghosted the machine and I am still getting this problem. Thanks
Re: ORA OEM unable to discover the database [message #68354 is a reply to message #68352] Thu, 29 May 2003 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shah
The oracle agent was not picking up the listener or the database. The services.ora file had no database or listener in it. That's why it could not pickup the database. The services.ora file cannot be changed. I am just trying EM on a separate machine now. Thanks for all the help.
Re: ORA OEM unable to discover the database [message #68355 is a reply to message #68349] Mon, 02 June 2003 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pablo
I did have the same problem...

Checking the LISTENER I notices that there were more than one listener (several ports listen), so I knew before that Oracle does not work well with several ports listen to the same database, I just dropped additional listeners and Reset Oracle Services and BINGO!!! I just got into the Console back again and refresh all Nodes and it displayed the Databases node now.

hope I can help!
Re: ORA OEM unable to discover the database [message #68418 is a reply to message #68349] Sun, 10 August 2003 19:25 Go to previous message
jonejr
Oracle recently told me that the target machine MUST
nslookup, both forward and backward, ie...
hostname <'enter'> (This works on *nix and NT), then
nslookup dbmachine <enter> will return an IP (at least, IT
SHOULD),
then nslookup IP_of_dbmachine <enter> these 2 should
resolve one to another.

Also, is the target db an 8.1.5 Intelligent Agent? If so, Agent
needs to be upgraded to 8.1.7 or higher, according to Oracle
Support.

HTH.
Previous Topic: backup
Next Topic: Enterprise Manager console can not find the local database
Goto Forum: