Home » RDBMS Server » Enterprise Manager » Guidelines for Management Server
Guidelines for Management Server [message #68315] Thu, 03 April 2003 09:13 Go to next message
Michele
Hello,

Quite a while ago a consultant installed Oracle 9i on our SUN Solaris box for us.
I wanted to explore using the export/import utility and a message came up that stated I must be logged into the management server. Recently, I came across the Oracle Managament Server documentation which has brought up some questions for me that I can't seem to find in the docs we have. So I thought I could throw out my questions to everyone.

1) It doesn't look like we have the management server up and running, so is this something that is necessary for us to use? I guess I am curious to find out if this is a standard we should have?

2) What service names should we look for to see if the components have been installed?

3) Is the general rule 1 management server per machine?

4) The repository that is created for the server, should a new database instance be created for those tables? Or can you add to an existing instance? Should they be kept separate?

5) Can the creation of the repository be done during the day or should this be done when no users are on the machine?

6) If we decide to use, are there basic rules and guidlines we need to keep in mind before beginning the install?

Thanks everyone.

Michele
Re: Guidelines for Management Server [message #68317 is a reply to message #68315] Thu, 03 April 2003 10:42 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
1. Is the OMS installed?
   check that with
   oemctrl start
2. You need Intelligent agent to be running in
    all participating nodes.
    Only then you can discover those nodes in your OEM
    Oem console
3.  IT is recomended to have one mangement server per
    Machine. U can have many databases managed by one
    management server
4.  you can create a new repository in a seperate new database (say REPDB)
    or
    use a existing database (say DEVDB)
    BUT, IF the DEVDB IS DOWN, YOU CANNOT start OMS
    becuase repository is in DEVDB.
    thats why, it is recomened to have repository in 
    a seperate database.
5.  you can create repository any time you want.
6.  REFER documentation.

Previous Topic: input please
Next Topic: OEM monitoring of Informix and MS/SQL Server databases? How to start?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:49:55 CDT 2024