Home » RDBMS Server » Enterprise Manager » Table Creation
Table Creation [message #67784] Tue, 12 March 2002 07:50 Go to next message
sparky
This is probably a simple question to answer, but one that I have yet to be able to locate the answer too. I am very new to Oracle, having come from a SQL Server background. I'm using the latest and greatest, Oracle 9i db, and am creating a table using the wizard. it asks me what SCHEMA and TABLESPACE I want to use. This is my question. Does it matter which schema you use? Can you create your own schema? How does the schema work with relation to the tables, and just what the hell does the schema do? I've been reading the material, but everyone I've read so far has just assumed that I would no this, but if you look at SQL Server, you don't have any schema to worry about when you create tables.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Sparky
Re: Table Creation [message #67787 is a reply to message #67784] Fri, 15 March 2002 19:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
arun
Simply put, a schema is a collection of logical database objects like tables, views, triggers, sequences, indexes etc. In Oracle, when we create a user account, the user can create database objects. The collection of all such objects belonging to a particular user is called a schema.

Yes, you can create your own schema.

Schema is very important concept in database object management. First advantage of having a schema is you can group certain database objects together under a schema. The schema can then be exported and you can be sure that all the database objects like tables, trigger, stored procedures etc. have been exported. This makes management easier. A schema can be analyzed as a whole, so if you add new tables/indexes, you need not worry about adding them to your analyze job. Two database objects with same name can exist in different schemas. These are some things that come to my mind.

When creating a logical database object, the object must be owned by a schema owner (typically an Oracle user account). The owner has full permissions on the object and can grant selective permissions to other users on these objects.

In a nutshell, just remember that a schema is nothing but a collection of logical database objects owned by an Oracle user. In Oracle all objects must be owned by an Oracle user. You can create an Oracle user account. Unless you creat any database objects using this user account, the account would not show up as schema under Enterprise Manager.

I hope this answers your question.
Re: Table Creation [message #67790 is a reply to message #67787] Mon, 18 March 2002 04:22 Go to previous message
sparky
Thanks, that answered the question perfectly.
Previous Topic: Logon to oracle
Next Topic: tools
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 14:18:39 CDT 2024