Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » CLIENT CONNECTION PROBLEM TO SERVER DB
CLIENT CONNECTION PROBLEM TO SERVER DB [message #50512] Tue, 19 March 2002 04:55 Go to next message
Roland
On my laptop(which is my configured client), I go to SQL*PLUS and when I enter User Name - system or scott
and password - manager or tiger (respectively) and leave the Host String blank I get the error ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error.

If I enter the Net Service Name or the SID Service Name on the Host String I get the error ORA-12154: TNS: could not resolve service name.

My Network connection works since I can access all of my Server files from my laptop and vice versa.
The SQL*Plus on my server works also when I enter Username and password and no Host String. I am running Oracle 8.1.5 on my Database Server and Client.
I would appreciate any response to get me pass this problem.
Re: CLIENT CONNECTION PROBLEM TO SERVER DB [message #50513 is a reply to message #50512] Tue, 19 March 2002 05:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grant
You need to run Net8 Configuration Assistant on your client to set up your tnsnames.ora file with an alias to your database.
Re: CLIENT CONNECTION PROBLEM TO SERVER DB [message #50526 is a reply to message #50512] Tue, 19 March 2002 21:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Roland
Hi Grant,
Thanks for the response. I followed what you recommended. I ran Net8 Configuration Assistant on my client. I created a Listener(Selected TCP as Selected Protocol, Net8 Clients as type of clients to support, 1521 as the standard port number).I chose Naming Methods configuration( selected Local and Host Name in that order as Naming Methods,created a Net Service Name and for Oracle 8.1 database and entered the global database name in the Service Name box which is the same global database name I entered in my Server database, TCP/IP as protocol, entered the Host Name in the box which is the same Host Name on my Server when I go to my Server's Net8 Assistant, used the port number 1521 and performed a Test).
I got an error message : The test did not succeed ORA-12545: Connect failed because target host or object does not exist.

The tnsnames.ora file was actually created when I ran the Net8 Assistant and created a Net Service Names. I tested it and got the same error message:The test did not succeed ORA-12545: Connect failed because target host or object does not exist.

Where am I going wrong? Should I reinstall the Client Software? I did start the OracleOraHome81TNSListener on the Services Option of my Server. My OracleService database is also started.
Re: CLIENT CONNECTION PROBLEM TO SERVER DB [message #50528 is a reply to message #50512] Tue, 19 March 2002 21:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ichikawakenichi
go to this site, you will get the solution to your problem.

http://www.orafaq.net/msgboard/server/messages/10277.htm
Re: CLIENT CONNECTION PROBLEM TO SERVER DB [message #50530 is a reply to message #50526] Wed, 20 March 2002 04:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grant
Your tnsnames.ora file should look something like this:

# TNSNAMES.ORA Network Configuration File: C:oracleora81networkadmintnsnames.ora
# Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

RCVCAT.WORLD =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = NETBACK)(PORT = 1521))
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SID = rcvcat)
)
)

Make sure that you can ping the HOST in the ADDRESS list. If not ping the IP. If the IP works then use it. Once you can ping it you should be able to enter the alias (in the example above it would be rcvcat) name in HOST STRING field and it should connect.
Re: CLIENT CONNECTION PROBLEM TO SERVER DB [message #50630 is a reply to message #50526] Wed, 27 March 2002 05:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Roland
Hi Grant,

I'm embarrassed to ask this question because it may sound elementary to you. I tried to ping from my client to my server using DOS: ping 192.168.0.1 (the IP numbers I got by clicking on my server's network neighborhood icon=>TCP/IP Proctocols Properties => IP Address). I got the message: Destination host unreachable.
When I did: ping Server-1 (which is the name of my host Server), I got the message: Unknown host Server-1.
I can access all my Server files from my client and vice versa. Is it my hub connection? I'm using a CNET 8port 10mbps. If not, where am I going wrong? Please help. Thanks
Re: CLIENT CONNECTION PROBLEM TO SERVER DB [message #50663 is a reply to message #50630] Fri, 29 March 2002 19:50 Go to previous message
Roland
Hello,
I reconfigured my TCP/IP addresses on both server and client. I am now able to ping Server-1(my host name) from my Laptop-1(my client name) successfully.

I also am able to connect from my client to my server successfully when I do a test in Net8 Assistant and Net8 Configuration on the client side.

However, I still am getting error
(ORA-12514: TNS:listener could not resolve SERVICE_NAME given in connect descriptor) and
(ORA-12154: TNS: could not resolve service name)
when I log in Oracle SQL*PLUS on my client.
I enter scott in User Name, tiger in Password and CALALANG.TEST in Host String. I also tried CALALANG.BIS in Host String but fails.

The Service Name on my Server Net8 Assistant is CALALANG.BIS

This is my tnsnames.ora on my client:
--------------------------------------------------
# C:ORACLEORA81NETWORKADMINTNSNAMES.ORA Configuration File:c:OracleOra81NETWORKADMINtnsnames.ora
# Generated by Oracle Net8 Assistant

LAPTOP-CALALANG.BIS =
(DESCRIPTION =
(SOURCE_ROUTE = OFF)
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = Server-1)(PORT = 1521))
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SERVICE_NAME = CALALANG.TEST)
(SRVR = DEDICATED)
)
)
----------------------------------------------------
What should I enter in the Host String box of SQLPLUS on the client side? and/or
Where am I going wrong?
Previous Topic: Re: Cannot login with scott/tiger or system/manager
Next Topic: Re: Need Solaris Dumps & previous solved papers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Sep 09 16:10:40 CDT 2024